Thursday, October 25, 2012

Badminton - October - Focus on backhand!

I have been involved consistently in my self-initiated badminton sessions during October. I attended all the sessions with commitment and perseverance despite pressure due to academic assessments. This month I played more doubles matches relative to singles matches since the courts were booked completely. However, they were active sessions as I played many consecutive matches against opponents of different experience levels. I have become a strong intermediate level player as I have a wide variety of offensive and defensive shots which are both orthodox and unorthodox, good service variations, quick movement skills on the court and am improving my strength in smashes and my response reflexes.

These months my main focus has been on improving my backhand strength, i.e. make my backhand overheard shots stronger. The backhand is important in a badminton match as it is crucial for defence as well as offense. It is useful for covering the whole court efficiently while also for playing cross court rallies. Thus, by identifying this area for growth last month, I have now worked on it and continue to improve. It is important to note that this is an on-going process and requires extra work-outs. Hence, my goal for November will be to take part in excercises that focus on muscle building. Similarly, consistent play will enable me to improve stamina.
 
I am looking forward to more action next month!
 
Given below are a few photographs from my badminton sessions that took place this month (I am wearing a red shirt.)
 
Stepping forward to play a cross court shot.
Hitting an overhead smash.

Playing a cross-court clear backhand shot.

Smash!

Reaching out to respond for a drop shot.

Hitting an overhead shot.

Playing a backhand shot. This has been one of my main focuses for improvement.

The importance of backhand to cover the complete court.
Me (on the other side of the court) reaching and responding successfully to the opponents dropshot.

Hitting an overhead clear.
Playing an unorthodox drop shot in order to vary shot speed (Shot created by myself)

Reaching for a short cross-court smash hit by my opponent.

Playing one of my favourite smashes - The drop shot smash.

No comments:

Post a Comment