Saturday, January 12, 2013

Semester 2 - Goals

CAS Goals for the second semester

The senior year has entered its last phase and I have just completed my IB trial exams. After this short 'break', now I plan to continue my involvement in the IB DP CAS programme. Thus, before jumping into the CAS schedule, here I will develop my goals for the semester. My goals for the second semester will be modified from the goals I set in the first semester as I have identified specific areas of improvement from my experiences and report card feedback.

Guitar (Creativity): 

I have not been able to practice guitar during the past three weeks due to academic engagements. I feel that I have successfully learnt and understood the basics of guitar. Now, I will continue improving my guitar skills using primary resources such as my teacher, brother or friends who are experienced and fluent guitarists, and secondary resources such as the Internet.

My goals for guitar this semester are:
  • Attend classes regularly and punctually.
  • Practice properly and participate actively in class.
  • Play guitar for at least 2 hours every week with minimum 30 minutes duration practice sessions. (Independent of class time)
  • Learn and video at least 1 song every month.
  • Be creative with my learning, i.e. attempt to vary the types of songs I learn and practice different techniques. 
  • Recording and reflecting on my experiences regularly on my CAS blog.
Recycling (Creativity and Service): 

While me and Jenn will continue as co-leaders under the supervision of Mr. Ian Lockwood, this semester the OSC Recycling and Sustainability service group will welcome many new members. As the service group will be starting afresh, it will be important to build a team spirit and establish good communication in order to accomplish our service goals. These goals in general include continuing the recycling material collection within the school campus in an efficient manner, increase the environmental sustainability of our school community by recycling used (and non-reusable) paper, cardboard, plastic and some metals, and finally, help develop a responsible and caring attitude towards use of resources within the school community by setting up trays for reusable paper in all rooms and thoroughly filtering recycling materials obtained for reusable items.

My goals for recycling this semester are:
  • As a leader, it will be most important for me to lead all my team members by setting up an example.
  • I will improve my communication skills
  • I will improve my team leading skills by planning tasks in collaboration with my co-leader Jenn and supervisor Mr. Lockwood.
  • Participate enthusiastically, commitedely and actively.
  • Successfully transfer the co-leader positions to two team members in order to complete my and the service group's transition from the IB CAS programme.
  • Regularly reflect about my experiences on my CAS blog.
 Badminton (Action):

I will continue to take part in Badminton sessions at the D.S. Senanayake twice every weekend. This activity has enabled me to improve my stamina and challenge my body physically. These sessions are good for physical fitness and also for mental relaxation. Thus, its aptly said that "a healthy mind resides in a healthy body". In addition, these sessions will enable me to improve my badminton skills and become a better player and sportsperson. The timings for these badminton sessions will be:
  • Saturday - 7 am to 8 am
  • Sunday - 7 am to 9 am
My goals for Badminton this semester are:
  • Be punctual and attend sessions regularly.
  • Spend some time doing warm-up exercises and jogging.
  • Take minimum breaks.
  • Participate enthusiastically, commitedely and actively.
  • Regularly reflect about my experiences on my CAS blog.
 ---
While working towards achieving these goals, I will keep in mind all 8 critical learning outcomes in the OSC CAS handbook. These learning outcomes are:
  • Increasing awareness of my own strengths and areas of growth
  • Undertaking new challenges
  • Planning and initiating activities
  • Working collaboratively with others
  • Showing perseverance and commitment in my activities
  • Engaging with issues of global importance
  • Considering the ethical implications of my actions
  • Developing new skills
These aspects will always be incorporated in my actions and in my reflections and therefore, I will do my best to ensure I take great learning experiences and skills from the last semester of my school life.

No comments:

Post a Comment