Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Action" - Badminton

Me ("Batman") and my peer Onkar outside the Sports Complex after a badminton session.
 
I have been regularly taking part in Badminton sessions at the D.S. Senanayake College Sports Complex for the last 1 year. However, earlier I attended these sessions to keep myself physically active and hence, did not plan any goals to be accomplished. However, for the first semester (in the IB DP Year 1), I have now planned to train and improve myself, by both using the Internet as a resource while also learning from my peers and other players that come regularly to D.S. Senanayake Sports Complex. 

Playing a overhead clear shot against opponents.
Responding to opponent with a backhand shot.
I have now been attending these sessions for 3 weeks (i.e. 2 sessions every week in the weekend - discussed in my goals for the First Semester.) I have practiced and gone through all forms of shots in my sessions both during matches and also while playing rallies as forms of drills to practice. The types of shots that I have been able to enhance my skills in drastically are forehand smashes (of all kinds), drop shots, and overhead clears. For now, the shots I need to improve are the backhand smash and also the jump smash. I am quite a moderate server in this sport and aim to improve my accuracy.

Thinking about the placement of my serve.
Me hitting a smash towards the opponents court.

Other than this, I also have been working on placement techniques in badminton. I have learnt to keep in mind the empty spaces in the opponents court. I am renowned as a player with good placement skills by my peers such as Onkar and Sahil. I love making them "run-around" in their court by making use of good variation in my shots.

I love playing badminton both in the singles and doubles formats. I know the score keeping techniques and other basic rules by heart. In these sessions, I played against all kinds of players ranging from moderate players to highly experienced ones. I enjoy playing against more experienced players as I am able to give them a tough fight till the end. However, I learn from all the players I play against as they all have many qualities that I can acquire to excel as a badminton player as well as a overall sportsperson.

No comments:

Post a Comment