Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Service" - Library Service

It has been three weeks for me in the ongoing Library Service program at The Overseas School of Colombo (OSC). The Library Service program is an hourly service program that takes place in the Secondary Learning Resource Center (SLRC) at OSC every Thursday. The aim of this activity is to maintain the library by arranging all the newly returned books on the shelves in a proper numerical as well as alphabetical order.

This is the first time I have taken part in Library Service. By now, I have learnt how to organize the books into the designated shelves in the minimal amount of time. Our activity is supervised by Ms. Raina Lockwood, the head librarian at The Overseas School of Colombo.This year's Library Service program is being headed by Skylor and Charity of Grade 12. They divided the service group into two teams. I am a part of the group which organizes the larger portion of the Library, i.e. the shelves with the Non-fiction books. 

Library Service is an activity that enables us students to recognize the role of the Library in every student’s life. We, the Library Service members, act as the "Guardians of the Library" by keeping it organized for the convenience of all the Library users, including students, parents, teachers, as well as visitors (Ethical implications of my actions). I believe that this Service program is very crucial as it not only allows us to be a part of the group in charge of maintaining the library, but it also enables us to respect the purpose of the Library.

In the library service program, I (with my other 2 peers) place the returned non-fiction books to their proper designated shelves. Then, we start organizing shelves one by one in the proper numerical and alphabetical order. There are many books that have been put in the wrong order and some that have put in the wrong shelf. I put them in the proper order, first using the numerical code and then using the alphabetical code. Also, during the process, I am able to find books that have torn or missing coded identification stickers. By the end, I am able to properly organize approximately 6 shelves. In this activity, the time goes by really quick and hence, I am always surprised.

It was fun to arrange the books in a proper order (Helps to revise one's alphabets)!

The "Fiction Team" organizes the books in the fiction area.
Humza, a part of my team which arranges the Non-fiction shelves, at work!!!
Onkar, another member of my team, JUST LOVES BOOKS :)

In the future, I hope to keep working in the same manner and helping my group in "advertising" and spreading awareness about the various programmes carried out by the Library in the school, such as the book week and other book sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment