Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Service" - Library Service :)

It was a rigorous day today. It was time to arrange the "World Languages" shelves today. I was given the task to arrange the Korean, Japanese and Chinese books in the proper places. The books had to be categorized either as formal and informal, and then arrange by the numerical and alphabetical codes. It was really a new challenge for me as I had to develop a new skill of identifying the three languages and distinguishing between them. Arranging these books, I learnt that the Korean script was geometrical, the Japanese script had a lot of circular symbols with frequent dots, and the Chinese script was geometrical but it also had many "hyphen-like" designs in the alphabets. Hence, this experience was quite challenging for me (both mentally and physically) as it enabled me to increase my awareness of areas of global knowledge (as well as general knowledge). I also understood that this (the scripts of different countries and their link to the prevalent cultures) was one domain which I could broaden my knowledge in to become a "whole learner" who is aware about the whole world and can think independently using his knowledge to overcome challenges in different times of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment