Sunday, September 18, 2011

IB Orientation: 25th - 27th August, 2011

The IB Orientation was a very enthralling experience. It was both a leisure trip as well as an educational trip, and hence was a very exciting trip. The IB Orientation trip had various activities planned over a 2 day programme which were physically and mentally challenging. All the activities either enabled us to use our past experiences and knowledge to solve problems and overcome challenges, and they also allowed us to stretch our limitations. Some of these activities were:
  • A quiz based on all the six different subjects available in the IB DP program,
  • Rock-climbing,
  • Team-building activities,
  • Making a float able boat for a race using limited cardboard and tarpaulin, and
  • Making a rocket using newspapers.
A TOK session at the IB Orientation trip. - Photograph courtesy of - Nadeera Illeperumaarachchi (2011)
However, there was one activity which was very unique. It was the Talent Show. Everyone showcased some form of their talent through creative performances, interesting presentations, etc. I performed a Magic Show in front of the audience (my peers and teachers) with 2 fellow friends. I found this experience very unique as it allowed me to develop a new skill.

The audience having a spectacular time at the Talent Show. - Photograph courtesy of - Nadeera Illeperumaarachchi (2011)
This trip also brought forward various interesting ideas through TOK sessions based on Sense Perception and Maths. The IB Orientation trip also included discussions on university choices and various aspects of the IB. There was also a discussion on CAS in which we all set goals. 

Me and my group taking part in an activity based on the IB Learner Profile. - Photograph courtesy of - Nadeera Illeperumaarachchi (2011)
ROCK CLIMBING ROCKS!

Celebrating after collaborative team victory!

A group discussion!

Playing Volleyball :)

The theory of Maths is a really interesting topic!

Me and my friend taking part in an activity.

All these activities and programs each had numerous new morals/learnings for me. All of these varied drastically. The rock-climbing activity enabled me to undertake a new challenge as this was the first time I took part in a rock-climbing program. Also, to add to the challenge, the rainy weather made my "debut" really tough. In the end, I was successful in climbing a reasonable height.... but came down with a few cuts and bruises as "trophies" for stepping up to the challenge.

The team-building activities arranged by the Borderlands group allowed me to work collaboratively with others. I was able to work as a good team member in these activities. In the end, me and my group were able to win most of the challenges by cooperating and communicating properly.

Me and my group trying out ideas for a challenging task. - Photograph courtesy of - Borderlands, Sri Lanka (2011)

Another challenging task was building a raft (or a floatation device) with limited resources. I was able to help my team by giving them good ideas. Even though our team did not prevail in this activity, we enjoyed the whole experience very much.

Brainstorming ideas for raft designs. - Photograph courtesy of - Borderlands, Sri Lanka (2011)
 
The rafts are marked on the basis of Design and Float ability. - Photograph courtesy of - Nadeera Illeperumaarachchi (2011)
The team captains stepping into the water for the race. - Photograph courtesy of - Borderlands, Sri Lanka (2011)

 
The whole experience was very interesting for me. It allowed me to interact with my peers and learn more about them. It also gave me a good idea about the various kinds of challenges the IB DP brings forward. To conclude, if I were to describe this trip in one phrase, it would be - "A fun learning experience" !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment