Saturday, October 8, 2011

"Creativity" - Guitar

It was my second guitar class today. As I had my previous class two weeks ago (last weekend was a holiday), I had a lot of time to practice at home. Hence, I dedicated a few hours to memorize the chords as assigned by my teacher.

Today, the class began with some chord exercises. I revised the chords I had memorized and learnt in the past 2 weeks. After that, I played some songs using the basic chords I learnt along with the whole class. I enjoyed this experience very much. 

Also, today I found out that playing a guitar requires both perfect hand and mind coordination. Also, to be successful, one needs to first practice with dedication. When playing a guitar, the right hand and left hand both have different roles. As I am right handed, my left hand is dedicated to holding the chords, whereas my right hand is dedicated to playing the guitar. The chords set up the tune for the sound to be produced and various techniques are used for the right hand to produce different frequencies and types of sounds. Both, the number of chords to be used and the playing techniques gradually develop with practice. Hence, the task to coordinate both the hands requires good focus.

Similarly, playing the guitar is sometimes hard for beginners (me too!). My left hand is positioned on the neck of the guitar and hence while holding some chords for a long time (these will become simpler in the future with more practice), the fingers get tired. Today, I got a blister on my thumb (which is "a sign of a good beginning" - as the teacher said).

I practiced 6 main 3 finger chords today. These are C, G, G7, D7, F and D. My task for this week is to practice these chords and play the song "My Girl" by 'The Temptations' using the chords advised by my teacher. In the next class, I will learn about the manuscript used to play a guitar and the meaning of the different notations. This will be my first class about musical notes. I will practice well this week in order to succeed in achieving my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment